Lambeth Community Solar
This click can make change
Lend your support or skills to developing community energy in London
The LCS story so far...
Lambeth Community Solar (LCS) is installing community-owned solar panels on schools and community buildings across the borough of Lambeth.
- LCS was created in 2019 and supported by Repowering London to raise £137,000 through a community share offer to install solar panels on two Lambeth schools.
- We installed 83 kWp of solar panels on the Norwood School in October 2019 and 62 kWp of solar panels on the Elmgreen School in February 2020.
- Thanks to funding from the Mayor of London we are assessing whether solar can be installed on other schools in Lambeth.
- We are now working with The Michael Tippett School to complete a feasibility study. As well as installing solar panels, the plan is to work with the school to deliver educational workshops and training opportunities for students.
How LCS helps Lambeth residents
£35,000 will be raised from the sale of electricity and spent within the local community.
CHEAP & CLEAN POWER
The schools will save £27,000 by purchasing cheap, clean electricity.
Repowering London runs workshops for pupils that fit within the school curriculum.
Anyone in the community can invest in the project.
FIGHTING CLIMATE CHANGE
The school buildings are lowering their carbon footprints, saving 31 tonnes of CO2 each year.
TACKLING FUEL POVERTY
Our fuel poverty initiatives are reducing the energy bills of local people and alleviating hardship.
The project brings residents together in a fun and worthwhile cause.
How LCS works
LCS is a Community Benefit Society, a legal entity whose statutory purpose is to serve the broader interests of the community. This means that any proceeds from the project are locked into the Borough of Lambeth and delivered to local residents.
- Local residents aged 16 or over, businesses, councils and others can invest in the Society by purchasing shares. Shareholders automatically become members. You can invest from as little as £100 (specific concessions £50).
- To ensure no one is left out, Borough of Lambeth residents can become a non-investor member for £1. You’ll have the same say in how the project is run as any investor. Contact our Community Champion Ewure Esi if you’d like to be a non-investor member.
- The Society is run by members and a board of directors who come from the local community. Governance of the Society is truly democratic because each member has one vote, no matter whether or how much they invest.
- The Society uses the funds raised from shares to buy and install the solar panels. The project earns an income by selling the electricity produced through them.
- Shareholders receive an estimated return on their investment of around 3% pa over the lifetime of the project and get their initial stake back.
- After core costs and investor returns have been paid out, any remaining income is spent within the community.
Interested in investing?
We are not currently accepting investment in Lambeth Community Solar but click the button below to be the first to hear of new share offers.
Learn more about LCS
Watch this short video to find out more about our members love Lambeth Community Solar: