Our 2022 Impact Report gives an insight into how Repowering London continued to Create Local Energy last year
2022 was a big year for growth and innovation at Repowering London. It saw us lay the foundations for community energy co-operatives in new London boroughs and apply our expertise to new technical challenges, such as indoor air quality monitoring and retrofit for blocks of flats.
As always, people have been at the heart of what we do – whether they joined one of our community energy co-operatives as a member, took on new responsibilities as a director or volunteer, built relationships with their neighbours at our community-building events, or shared their experiences of fuel poverty with important stakeholders in the energy sector as part of our advocacy outreach.
But don’t just take our word for it. We’ve put together a full report that reviews our impact across the year.
What’s inside the Repowering London 2022 Impact Report – Headlines
We accomplished a lot last year, but we’ve tried to keep this report light and simple. Among the highlights:
- Read more about the first community energy project created in the City of London, Aldgate Solar Power
- Find out how we’re trialling innovative approaches to create smart local energy systems, monitor indoor air quality, and support retrofit in challenging contexts
- Read up on how we work with local Community Leads to engage with new audiences, which earned us the Community Energy England award for Community Engagement and Inclusion
- Learn what young people who participated in our Youth Training Programme and ReCreate programme took away from their experiences
- Check out how we reached more than 5,100 people on community energy topics in 2022
- Explore how we’ve used our expertise to advocate for community energy, strengthen the sector, and elevate the voices of those with lived experience of fuel poverty.
- See feedback from some of our members, volunteers, and participants about the changes they’ve been inspired to make.
Making a difference distinctively
Our projects generate renewable energy and avoid carbon emissions, but they also do so much more. That’s why we surveyed or spoke to many of our members, volunteers, and youth trainees last year about their experiences with Repowering London and our projects as part of the impact reporting process. They told us about how their involvement with Repowering London has helped them to build knowledge about renewable energy and co-operative governance, gain confidence working in their community, reduce their own energy consumption, or even change their career. According to one of our volunteers: “It’s been a wonderful experience, gaining confidence and a new network of like-minded and enthusiastic people which has been incredible”.
We also asked our Repowering London team members what the highlights of 2022 were for them. In one way or another, their best memories all revolved around the people who are involved in our projects. They all said they were inspired and energised by getting to know new directors and volunteers, building strong working relationships within our growing team, or seeing new audiences get excited about the possibilities of community energy.
Finally, as we reflect on our achievements, we can’t forget the incredible support and dedication of all our funders, partners, directors, members, and volunteers who have helped us Create Local Energy in 2022. Together, we believe that we can build a fairer energy future!