Lambeth Community Solar
About this project
About this project
Repowering London is working with Lambeth Council to develop and manage a new community-owned solar energy project to install on schools and community buildings in the borough.
This pioneering community energy programme will lower the carbon footprint of the borough while improving the financial resilience of its schools and community and providing the borough with locally produced solar electricity.
Our first Lambeth Community Solar project is with The Elmgreen and Norwood schools in West Norwood - for a total 100kW of solar panels being installed this autumn on the schools' roofs.
If your school is interested in joining our project, please contact Dave or Eva on 0203 674 7519 or email email@example.com.
How it works
Lambeth Community Solar is a Community Benefit Society. The solar panel installation is funded through a community share offer. Once the panels are installed, the profit from the sale of electricity (with help from the Feed-in-Tariff) will be shared between the shareholders and the local community (through a Community Fund).
Shareholders automatically become members of the Community Benefit Society, they can vote and have a say in how the project is run. Local residents can become members for £1, rather than having to invest. Everyone has the same vote.
Shareholders will receive interest payments on their investment, at approximately 3% per year. By purchasing shares in Lambeth Community Solar, your money will be immediately invested locally, bringing a wide range of benefits to the community.
Key benefits to the schools and community
The profits from the sale of electricity will be partly redistributed into the community through a Community Fund. The solar panels will not be owned by the schools but they will benefit from discounted locally produced renewable electricity.
The community as a whole profits from a wide range of benefits:
- Reduced electricity bills for the schools and community buildings
- Surplus income will be used for the schools and surrounding community through the Community Fund
- Repowering will run appropriate educational activities and workshops for students that fit within the school curriculum and relate to energy literacy
- The project offers an ethical investment opportunity for parents, teachers and locals with a 3% return on investment
- The project will help the schools and the borough of Lambeth to reduce its carbon emissions
Get in touch
For more information on how you can get involved, or if you are interested in suggesting your school to join this project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0203 674 7519.
You are also more than welcome to join us as our next volunteers meetings - where we discuss our strategy, next steps, volunteering opportunities, upcoming events and new ideas!
- Monday 1 July @ Impact Hub Brixton (SW9 8PQ) from 6.30 to 8pm
- Monday 15 July @ Portico Gallery (SE27 0HS) 6.30 to 8pm
- Monday 5 August @ Impact Hub Brixton from 6.30 to 8pm
- Monday 19 August @ Portico Gallery 6.30 to 8pm
- Monday 2 September @ Impact Hub Brixtonfrom 6.30 to 8pm
- Monday 16 September @ Portico Gallery 6.30 to 8pm
Feel free to bring your family, friends and colleagues interested in the project - All welcome!