Energy Garden is looking for volunteers to join the team!
We help community groups to design, install and maintain community gardens on their local train station. As a volunteer you could be working directly with the community groups, project managers, project officers and provide administrative support to the Directors. Energy Garden volunteers have been involved in both on site and in the office. The successful applicant(s) will have an understanding of the personal nature of voluntary work and the need to nurture relationships within the community to develop projects.
Energy Garden are ideally looking for individuals with a passion for working with the community and an interest in gardening and community energy. No previous experience is required for the role.
This role is unpaid, however travel expenses will be reimbursed at cost. Working hours will be most useful Monday – Friday, with the possibility of some weekend events. We are looking for volunteers who can commit 2-3 days per week for at least 2 months.
About Energy Garden
The Energy Garden team supports communities across London to transform London Overground platforms and stations into thriving gardens that incorporate food growing plots and solar energy providing on-site renewable energy for lighting, water pumps or other small scale station amenities. Energy Gardens promote food and energy security, create resilient communities and improve the health and well-being of Londoners.
Energy Garden aims to:
- Add beauty to London Overground Stations
- Support community and individual positive activism
- Increase awareness of renewable energy generation
- Create and maintain community gardens
- Inspire community youth through employment opportunities and internships
- Help to address food and energy inequalities in London
- Create a legacy fund to sustain the gardens in the long term
- Must have a strong command of English language
- Experience in gardening would be beneficial but is not essential as long as you are keen to learn.
- Must be competent with desktop programs such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Confident speaking with community groups and acting as a first point of contact between the Energy Garden Team and the community groups.
The opportunities offered by this role:
This role will offer the successful applicants the opportunity to gain experience working directly with the community groups we work with, as well as gaining insight in to the inner workings of a city-wide community gardening and community energy project.
This role therefore offers extremely valuable experience in a rapidly expanding sector of London’s sustainable development.
To apply for this role please send a brief cover letter (300 words max) and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday, August 31.