Repowering is a not-for-profit organisation that facilitates the co-production of community-owned renewable energy projects. We are a constituted co-operative with a small team of dedicated employees working collaboratively alongside passionate volunteers.
Repowering seeks to deliver environmental social and economic outcomes by:
- Generating decentralised low-carbon energy
- Tackling fuel poverty and educating residents about energy efficiency
- Promoting local leadership through community ownership and empowerment
- Providing opportunities for local and responsible financial investment
- Creating training and employment opportunities for local people
Repowering grew out of the creation of three community-owned solar power stations in Brixton. Building on this experience, we aim not only to replicate the Brixton model but also to seek new ways to achieve our goals through wider community involvement and innovative engagement with the energy market. We are currently going through a period of rapid growth due to the new awareness of the potential of community-owned energy within communities and local authorities alike. Our skills and services are in demand.
We are currently seeking volunteer directors to join the board of Repowering and help guide the organisation as it develops through this period of change and grows into a mature organisation. Currently Repowering employs two full-time and three part-time staff and relies on extensive volunteer support. As the work of the organisation expands, we need to be sure that this growth enjoys the best possible strategic oversight.
As a director of Repowering, you would be expected to attend one board meeting per month in Brixton, south London. Depending on what you bring to the organisation, you may also be called upon for advice on an ad hoc basis by the staff and other directors. The amount of time you give would be a matter for discussion on your appointment.
We are especially keen to recruit people who have experience of the following:
- Organisational development
- Human resource management
- The energy market
We are also keen to appoint a new chair for the organisation to lead us through this period of change. As chair, you would, in addition to your duties as a director, be expected to:
- Chair the monthly board meetings
- Lead the strategic development of the organisation
- Help to build partnerships with other organisations in the field
- Oversee the work of the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer
- Support the work of the organisation in others ways, as appropriate
The role of chair is likely to require 2-4 days per month minimum of your time.
If you are interested in being a director of Repowering, please write a short statement explaining what you would bring to the organisation (maximum 400 words) and email it to the current chair, Andre Pinho at Andre.Pinho@Repowering.Org.uk with your CV by August 15th. Please also indicate if you would be interested in the role of chair. Interviews will be held in August.